Legal aid to asylum seekers
Refugee Rights Turkey provides free of charge legal counselling and assistance services to asylum seekers of all nationalities, who have left their countries of origin for reasons of war or persecution and seek to access legal protection in Turkey as refugees.
Our legal counselling and assistance services and interventions for asylum seekers address legal questions and problems in relation to the following areas:
- rights, obligations and procedures in connection with the “temporary protection” policy in place for refugees from Syria;
- rights, obligations and procedures in connection with the individual “international protection” procedure that covers all of the other nationalities of asylum seekers from countries such as Iraq, Afghanistan, Iran, Somalia and elsewhere;
- negative and unfavorable decisions within the jurisdiction of Directorate General of Migration Managament and applicable appeal mechanisms and judicial remedies, both in connection with the “temporary protection” regime and the “international protection” procedure;
- rights, obligations and remedies applicable to persons being detained in deportation proceedings and seeking to make an application for either the “temporary protection” status or the “international protection” procedure in Turkey;
- rights, obligations and remedies applicable to persons being detained during the processing of their applications for either “temporary protection” status or “international protection” status;
- negative status decisions issued by UNHCR Turkey Representation to applicants within the framework of the refugee status determination procedure carried out under UNHCR’s Mandate in parallel to the DGMM “international protection” and/or “temporary protection” proceedings;
- security problems encountered in Turkey by persons seeking or benefiting from either “temporary protection” or “international protection” in Turkey;
- identification of particularly vulnerable categories of asylum seekers and their access to adequate legal protection mechanisms, in particular unaccompanied minors and persons who have been victimized by or at risk of gender and sexual based violence.
Our organization extends legal counselling and assistance services to all nationalities of asylum seekers, both Syrians and non-Syrians, and in what ever location they may be. All asylum seekers are welcome to visit our office or get in touch with us by telephone, fax or email all week days from 10:00am to 17:00pm.
Refugee Rights Turkey is a specialized NGO legal service provider for asylum seekers independent from Government agencies and other decision makers. We operate within the framework legal rules and principles laid down by relevant domestic, European and international human rights and refugee standards. In all of our counselling and assistance interactions, we are strictly committed to respecting and protecting the privacy and confidentiality of all information presented to our office by asylum seeker beneficiaries.
More detailed information and guidance regarding our free of charge legal counselling and assistance services and written information materials for refugees in various languages will soon be made available at our website.
Refugee Rights Turkey
Refik Saydam Cad. No:39 Dilber Apt. No:11,
Şişhane, Beyoğlu, Istanbul
0212 292 48 30
0212 292 48 33